Building America Starts With the Builders
Building America involves union members from all trades.
The following is a 12.5.2017 news release from the Laborers International Union of North America (LIUNA):
- Washington, D.C. (December 5, 2017) – Terry O’Sullivan, General President of LIUNA – the Laborers’ International Union of North America – made the following statement on LIUNA’s advocacy for Temporary Protected Status.
- Today, LIUNA members joined fellow union members of UNITE HERE, UFCW, IUPAT, the Iron Workers and Bricklayers to deliver 40,000 petitions pushing Congress to fix the Temporary Protect Status program (TPS) which will expire without legislative action.
- The Temporary Protected Status Program is a crucial humanitarian program that not only provides an opportunity to get ahead in the United States for those who have fled natural disaster and conflicts in their home country, it is also crucial to the construction industry.
- An estimated 30 percent of TPS-holders, work in the construction industry – literally building America.
- Congress must not allow political wrangling to short-change our economy and upend the lives of immigrants in the TPS program, who have become part of the fabric of our communities, working, paying taxes and raising families.
- LIUNA strongly urges Congress to adopt a legislative fix to extend the TPS program before the clock runs out.
More information about LIUNA can be found at http://liuna.org